Select enables a user to select a single item from a list of options.
Selects allow users to select an option from a menu of pre-defined choices. A select is best utilized when there are more than four choices.
- Contain four or more items.
- If using a title, limit title to single line and text to single line.
- Use menus that are sorted in a logical order.
- Use a default selection, if possible.
- Use a placeholder option, such as “Select…” if no default is available.
Placeholder text should:
- A select should have a default option selected.
- If no logical default exists, the field should have placeholder text